Is It Time to Rip Out Your Grass?
Seeing the Tell-Tale Signs? Is It Time to Rip Out Your Grass?
Consider a Landscape Makeover with Drought Resistant Plantings
If you frequently have bare spots or dull and brownish patches on your lawn, you may want to think about a long-term solution. Maybe it’s time to rip out your grass and replace it with low maintenance ground cover.
Here are a few signs that your grass is in trouble:
- Lawn is overwhelmed by weeds
- There are many bare spots in your turf
- Grass covers only 50% of your commercial landscape
- Dry grass turns pink or yellow, instead of brown
- Watering doesn’t revitalize your grass
One or more of these signs may indicate it’s best to stop wasting time, effort, and water on your grass. Switch to drought resistant landscaping, a much better use of valuable resources and of your commercial landscaping budget.
At Petalon Landscape Management Inc., our landscape maintenance team in the San Francisco Bay Area is ready and waiting should you decide to remove the old grass and start anew.
Repair or Re-Do Your Lawn?
If more than half your property is riddled with weeds and bare spots, it may be time to start over. There are three main ways to do so:
- Herbicide: A gentle but effective herbicide will kill your grass. This isn’t our first recommendation due to the potential contamination of fresh water sources. However, if you’re in a hurry and other methods aren’t practical, our experts will recommend the safest options on the market.
- Manual removal: Using a sod cutter allows our pros to quickly remove strips of unhealthy turf. Talk to us about getting our experienced landscapers to cut the turf and turn the strips over to create a natural compost. This is also a great way to fill in a hole or create a decorative mound.
- Solarization: As part of this method, we’ll use plastic, cardboard, or newspapers to cover the lawn and deprive it of light, moisture, and nutrients.
Some commercial landowners in the SF Bay Area decide to rip out their grass as part of their drought management strategy. Others do it to help their struggling lawn thrive. Either way, our team will support you with the information you need to make the right call.
Take the Right Steps to Replace Your Grass for a Landscape Makeover
Wondering if it’s time to rip out your grass? Underperforming, diseased, and non-thriving grass looks bad and can make it harder to revitalize your lawn. It may be the best decision to replace it now and obtain better results in the future with plantings that require less water and care.
If you decide instead that you need new grass, there are two methods of starting over: sodding, and planting grass seed. Planting sod gives you quicker results but costs more than starting over with seed.
Our landscapers have the experience needed to make the right call about removing or replacing your lawn. We can also provide commercial lawn care services to prevent future issues with a failing lawn.
Petalon Landscape Management Inc. is proud to serve commercial property managers and owners in the entire SF Bay Area, including Pleasanton, San Jose, Walnut Creek, Redwood City and Hayward, and Morgan Hill and Gilroy areas. Call 408-453-3998 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.