Is Drought Tolerant Landscaping Still Required for Bay Area Properties?
What are the Benefits?
After the frequent winter storms and heavy rain in the beginning of this year, the Bay Area has officially bid goodbye to the drought. In fact, by March 2019, the entire state of California came out of drought for the first time since December 2011. While this is excellent news for residents who have faced severe water shortage issues, do commercial properties in the Bay Area still need drought-tolerant landscaping? The answer is, YES. Just because water is plentiful now, does not mean you should be less concerned about conserving it.
As a leading landscaping company in the Bay Area, Petalon Landscape Management offers innovative landscaping ideas and technology-driven water management techniques. With deep knowledge and expertise in this area, we have helped several commercial properties and HOAs maximize their investment in drought-resistant landscaping.
Benefits of Upgrading to Drought-Tolerant Landscaping
Whether you are in the middle of a severe water crisis, or you have some respite with plenty of rainfall and deep snow in the mountains, upgrading to landscaping that requires less water is always a great investment.
- Cost Savings: Plants that need very little water will save you money on your water bills. Besides, these hardy plants can survive extreme heat and dry weather conditions, so you will not have to spend on replacing wilted or dead plants. Additionally, the state water department and local municipalities have been offering attractive rebates for turf replacement to Bay Area commercial properties. Even single family residences that do away with their lawns and invest in sustainable landscaping are eligible for rebates as high as $2,000.
- Resource Conservation: From conserving water to using less pesticides and fertilizers, xeriscaping has a positive impact on the environment. Moreover, planting native, water-wise plants and shrubs is a step towards reinforcing the natural habitat that supports our native birds and wildlife.
- Low Maintenance: With a landscape that has minimal grass and low water consuming plants, you can reduce your mowing, trimming and irrigation. Due to their extensive root systems, drought-resistant plants not only tap deep into the ground, but also hold down the soil, and prevent wind and rain erosion. Which means, you don’t have to worry about improving drainage or building retaining walls.
- Enhanced Property Value and Brand Image: A well-designed, sustainable landscape will potentially boost the value of your property. Moreover, your water smart commercial landscaping could be a talking point while promoting your brand and business. Impress potential tenants and clients by showcasing your conservation and environment-friendly efforts.
- Unique Aesthetics: It is a misconception that low water use landscaping is all about pebbles, rocks and mulch. In fact, there are some beautiful, water-wise plants and shrubs that come in great colors and textures and add a unique aesthetic appeal. Some species also offer soft, walkable and expansive ground cover.
There is no telling when the Bay Area dry spell will relapse. Weather experts suggest that the region needs plenty more rain and snow in the upcoming winter. No matter how the conditions evolve, it makes good business sense to upgrade your existing landscaping today and enjoy its many benefits for years to come.
For smart and cost-effective drought-tolerant landscaping, count on the experienced commercial landscapers at Petalon. We can transform your property through comprehensive water management strategies, including turf reduction, efficient irrigation and stunning hardscaping.
Property owners, developers and managers across Santa Clara County, including Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Redwood City, Mountain View, Los Gatos and Palo Alto depend on us for sustainable commercial landscaping solutions.
Call 408-453-3998 to learn why drought-tolerant landscaping is still crucial for your Bay Area property. You can also contact us online for a quote.