Ideal Trees for Low-Maintenance Landscapes
Select the Ideal Trees for Low-Maintenance Landscapes
Identify Bay Area Trees that Provide Shade without the Mess
If you’re looking to add trees to your commercial property in the Bay Area, consider the ideal trees for low-maintenance landscapes.
First, think about the purpose the tree will serve. For public spaces, hospital campuses, businesses, schools, and commercial properties, keep the following criteria in mind:
- Produces shade
- Does well in full or partial sunlight
- Offers an attractive canopy
- Grows flowers but not fruit
- Native species
Additionally, many business owners prefer deciduous trees which lose leaves to let in the sun during the colder months while providing shade in the summer. At Petalon Landscape Management, we recommend fruitless, flowering trees that add beauty and shade without fruit that falls onto walkways, creating a slippery mess. Keep reading for a few expert recommendations to get you started on selecting the ideal trees for low-maintenance landscapes.
How to Choose the Best Trees for Your Bay Area Commercial Property
As part of our arborist services, we are happy to help you find the right tree for the right location. Here are a few recommendations for flowering trees that provide privacy screening and shade without bearing fruit:
- Western Redbud (Cercis occidentalis). This deciduous tree grows magenta flowers during the spring and reaches 10 to 18 feet in height. It’s resistant to oak root fungus and attracts hummingbirds and bees.
- Ginkgo Biloba (also known as Autumn Gold). These lovely trees reach 25 to 50 feet but can be trimmed to your preferred height. They resist oak root fungus and have green flowers that give off a pleasant aroma. They are also resistant to gypsy moths and other pests. The male version of this smog-resistant tree bears no fruit and looks gorgeous.
- New Zealand Christmas Tree (Metrosideros excelsa). Reaching 30 feet in height, this tree has a 15-foot canopy, and its scarlet flowers attract bees. This evergreen keeps its leaves year-round to provide cool shade in the summer and greenery in the colder seasons. Although it has aggressive roots, this unique tree does well in a spacious landscape.
Tree Care Services for Low-Maintenance Commercial Landscapes
Petalon’s tree specialists can help you choose the ideal trees for low-maintenance landscapes in the Bay Area. After we install your tree, our award-winning team can return for the following services:
- Soil maintenance
- Pest control
- Tree and stump removal
- Year-round tree health and wellness
Petalon Landscape Management serves the San Francisco Bay Area including the communities of Walnut Creek, Redwood City, Pleasanton, San Jose, and Hayward.
For assistance with choosing the ideal trees for low-maintenance landscapes, contact us today. Call 408-453-3998 to get a quote.