Rethink Your Commercial Lawn Care in 2021
Implement a Water-Wise Landscaping Strategy for your Bay Area Property
Creating drought-tolerant commercial landscapes requires a focused strategy that goes beyond routine landscaping and lawn care. If water conservation is a key priority for your Bay Area property, it is time to rethink your commercial lawn care in 2021. Petalon’s drought management experts offer guidance on how to achieve water-wise commercial landscapes.
Tips to Make Your Bay Area Commercial Landscape Water-Efficient
Water conservation does not mean just being smart about drainage or irrigation. There is a lot that goes into planning and maintaining drought-tolerant commercial landscapes. Here are some strategies to consider:
- Limit the turf: Your lawn is one of the biggest water guzzlers in your commercial landscape. Reducing your turf or replacing water-hungry grasses with other varieties, such as Fescue, Bahia, or Buffalo grass can reduce the overall water intake of your landscape. After dry years and low water tables in the Bay Area, another popular option to conserve water is xeriscaping (planting ground cover and low water usage plants). Besides restricting water usage, xeriscaping also reduces the use of pesticides and fertilizers, in turn creating a positive impact on the environment.
- Improve your soil: Soil amendments contain rich organic materials that encourage plants to grow a broader root system and improve the soil’s water retention qualities. Better soils also allow more natural aeration and drainage, thus preventing runoff.
- Mulch your plants: Mulch forms a protective layer between the plant roots and outside air, encouraging greater moisture retention in their root systems. Mulching also keeps water from evaporating, especially in the Bay Area locations that experience a hot, dry climate.
- Invest in water-saving technologies: Consider installing automated irrigation systems that measure and monitor the temperature, humidity, soil moisture, and watering needs of specific plants. With sensor-based controls and intelligent features, these smart irrigation controllers auto-calibrate your watering schedule, reducing wastage and shrinking your water bills. Many modern systems come with remote-controllable apps that allow you to adjust and manage the settings anytime and from anywhere.
- Some additional water-efficient landscaping solutions include:
- Planting native, drought-resistant species
- Grouping new plants according to their watering needs
- Planting shrubs, perennials, and flowers in low spots to create rain gardens that capture and clean the groundwater before infiltration
- Creating rain barrels or cisterns to capture runoff and reuse water for irrigation purposes
Drought-Tolerant Commercial Lawn Care and Landscaping Services in the Bay Area
At Petalon Landscape Management Inc., we specialize in smart, cost-efficient, drought-tolerant landscaping solutions, including turf care, arbor care, irrigation, and drainage. Our network of experts works collaboratively to help you achieve sustainable landscapes.
We serve a wide range of commercial properties across the entire Bay Area, including Pleasanton, San Jose, Walnut Creek, Redwood City, and Hayward, CA.
For a comprehensive suite of water-efficient landscape management services in the San Francisco Bay Area, count on the skilled and licensed professionals at Petalon. Contact us online for a quote or call 408-453-3998 to discuss your commercial lawn care requirements for 2021.